Thursday, March 05, 2009

ON YOUR MARKS!

Hello again!

As you know, I was due to start trialling Jon le Tocq's new exercise program on Monday. Well, I just couldn't wait so I'm starting this Saturday and in order to ensure that I get the best possible results from this 12-week program I need to set some goals.

Goal setting, however, can be tricky - clients often say to me "I'd like to lose some weight" or "I'd like to be slimmer" or "I'd like to be fitter". Now, in themselves there's nothing wrong with these goals but they are vague. What I get my clients to do is to be specific so I ask:-
  • How much weight do they want to lose?
  • How much slimmer do they want to be?
  • How much fitter do they want to be?
and finally:-
  • By when do they want to achieve this?
This is all part of goal setting the "S.M.A.R.T." way. You may have come across this before - and that's because it works! S.M.A.R.T. stands for:-
  • S - specific - decide exactly what it is you want
  • M - measurable - decide how you will monitor your progress
  • A - achievable - can you actually do this?
  • R - realistic - have you taken into account your other responsibilities/commitments?
  • T - timed - when will you achieve this by?
So, my S.M.A.R.T. goals are:-
  • S - to lose 14lb and drop 1 dress size
  • M - yes - from 11st 6lb to 10st 6lb and from a 14/16 to a 12/14
  • A - yes I can - I have the program to follow
  • R - yes it is - I know I have to do 4 workouts per week + 1-2 flexibility sessions and I will diarise these at the beginning of each week
  • T - by May 30, 2009 - that's 12 weeks
So there you have them - my goals for all to see! As you can see, I haven't gone crazy with my goals - the main thing about them is that they are WHAT I WANT.

It's not difficult. Take your time to decide what it is you REALLY want to achieve and work from there. When I had 5+ stone to lose I found it far too daunting to make losing 5 stone my goal. I actually worked on losing 5lb every two weeks. For me it was a S.M.A.R.T. goal that worked because it wasn't too big but big enough for me to notice a difference quickly and, therefore, keep me going.

So let's do this together. Why not GET ON YOUR MARKS, make a 12-week plan and see what you can achieve by May 30, 2009?

I'll be back tomorrow with the first of a series of exercises routines you can do at home.

Until then.......

BE YOUR BEST!

No comments: